Oasis MC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oasis, why

Go down

Oasis, why Empty Oasis, why

Post by Thechrisanator on 6/22/2012, 7:06 am

Why do people donate for this server what is the donating going to help???

Thechrisanator
Banned
Banned

Posts : 181
Join date : 2012-06-20
Location : Canada, Ontario.

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by ChaosTheoryJRH on 6/22/2012, 7:38 am

People donate to the server to get special "perks".
A list of these perks can be found HERE

All donations go towards funding the server.
We rent a server from a server company.
It's like renting an apartment, each month we pay a monthly fee.

ChaosTheoryJRH
Banned
Banned

Posts : 1688
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 28
Location : BF, SC

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Oasis,why

Post by Thechrisanator on 6/22/2012, 7:44 am

Why can't you guys just make your own server.

Thechrisanator
Banned
Banned

Posts : 181
Join date : 2012-06-20
Location : Canada, Ontario.

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by ChaosTheoryJRH on 6/22/2012, 7:48 am

Well we do have "Our own server"

Renting a server ensures we have a quality performance.
Otherwise we'd have to run it Ariley's computer.
The server computer we are renting has much better specs on it.

ChaosTheoryJRH
Banned
Banned

Posts : 1688
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 28
Location : BF, SC

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by Krazo on 6/22/2012, 10:08 am

Donating is for, like chaos said, getting perks and keeping the server online. :)
Krazo
Krazo
Master Miner
Master Miner

Posts : 2073
Join date : 2011-06-29
Age : 26
Location : spuɐlɹǝɥʇǝN

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by Nova042 on 6/22/2012, 10:24 am

Thechrisanator wrote:Why do people donate for this server what is the donating going to help???

Why do people donate to Public Radio? Why do people donate to charities? Because they like to support the things that they love. Think of the special powers you get as if it were a tax write off for your donation.
Nova042
Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Posts : 693
Join date : 2011-02-27
Age : 36
Location : California, USA

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by lordgonk on 6/22/2012, 10:48 pm

Nova042 wrote:
Thechrisanator wrote:Why do people donate for this server what is the donating going to help???

Why do people donate to Public Radio? Why do people donate to charities? Because they like to support the things that they love. Think of the special powers you get as if it were a tax write off for your donation.

Another one of them perfect Nova comparisons
lordgonk
lordgonk
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Posts : 676
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 22
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by MrShatang on 6/22/2012, 10:54 pm

Donations are because you love the server and you want it to keep up and running.

MrShatang
Banned
Banned

Posts : 424
Join date : 2012-04-01
Age : 22
Location : Canada

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by madscientist032 on 6/22/2012, 11:16 pm

Ariley92 on Donations! wrote:Hi guys! Donations are now being accepted for the server, in order to offset the monthly cost for the server, and also possibly to upgrade the server.
Words from the server owner himself.

_________________
<Owner>madscientist032
Proud Owner & Developer of Oasis SMP/MC
Server IP: oasis-mc.us
Discord: bit.ly/Oasis_Discord
Twitter: @OasisSMP
madscientist032
madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Posts : 4496
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 29
Location : Black Mesa Research Facility, New Mexico

https://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Consideration

Post by Faithfuldave on 6/23/2012, 12:42 am

Might consider donating a good $50 if I can be assured that the server is going to last.
Faithfuldave
Faithfuldave
Tree Puncher
Tree Puncher

Posts : 6
Join date : 2012-06-20
Age : 24
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by ChaosTheoryJRH on 6/23/2012, 1:38 am

Faithfuldave wrote:Might consider donating a good $50 if I can be assured that the server is going to last.

Well it's been up for nearly 2 years and has only been getting bigger, with no signs of slowing down.

ChaosTheoryJRH
Banned
Banned

Posts : 1688
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 28
Location : BF, SC

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by Kevo235 on 6/23/2012, 2:11 am

ChaosTheoryJRH wrote:
Faithfuldave wrote:Might consider donating a good $50 if I can be assured that the server is going to last.

Well it's been up for nearly 2 years and has only been getting bigger, with no signs of slowing down.

Indeed, I don't think it'll be going down any time soon.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Posts : 3220
Join date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Donator 'Perks'

Post by Revilo410 on 6/23/2012, 5:55 am

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, On oasis, When you donate you get special permissions and a custom prefix, The term donate means to give something something else for nothing in return, I completely agree with custom prefixes and i have them on my server but Permissions. I don't think u should be able to buy permissions, if someone came on and donated 50$ they could probably do a lot of things to harm the server even if they weren't even member. This has transformed donating to a server you love and being rewarded with a cool prefix into Buy flying only 200$!. It just my opinion, and the subject of this forum, We donate to oasis because we really like it and we know it costs a lot of money to host a server.

~[WS][Trusted]Revilo410

_________________
Oasis, why Revilo10
::Profile::   Staff Profile - 2016
::Quotes::  Good, Better, Best. Do not rest until your good is better, and your better best.
::Rank::     Admin [As of December 2015]
Revilo410
Revilo410
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posts : 1867
Join date : 2012-01-30
Age : 22
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by Kevo235 on 6/23/2012, 12:27 pm

revilo410 wrote:I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, On oasis, When you donate you get special permissions and a custom prefix, The term donate means to give something something else for nothing in return, I completely agree with custom prefixes and i have them on my server but Permissions. I don't think u should be able to buy permissions, if someone came on and donated 50$ they could probably do a lot of things to harm the server even if they weren't even member. This has transformed donating to a server you love and being rewarded with a cool prefix into Buy flying only 200$!. It just my opinion, and the subject of this forum, We donate to oasis because we really like it and we know it costs a lot of money to host a server.

~[WS][Trusted]Revilo410

One word: Incentives.

Also, you're not guarenteed those permissions. Technically (althought it'd never happen) we could just take your money and not give you anything back. By law, of course, it'd also be okay if we banned you a day after you donated. This has and will never happen, however.

On the same note, it's only progressed to that because people think of it like that. I'm not here to tell anyone what or how to think, so that's not going to change any time soon. People will be people; they will look at the pros and the cons and weigh them to see the value of an action.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Posts : 3220
Join date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by Nova042 on 6/23/2012, 1:35 pm

Kevo235 wrote:it'd also be okay if we banned you a day after you donated. This has and will never happen, however.

I can't speak for the rest of the staff, but I would have no problems banning a donator. It's a DONATION, not a subscription which guarantees you 1 year of game play. In my opinion donators are not above the law.

PS. we have banned donators before, maybe not the day after, but they have been banned.
Nova042
Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Posts : 693
Join date : 2011-02-27
Age : 36
Location : California, USA

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by Kevo235 on 6/23/2012, 1:37 pm

Nova042 wrote:
Kevo235 wrote:it'd also be okay if we banned you a day after you donated. This has and will never happen, however.

I can't speak for the rest of the staff, but I would have no problems banning a donator. It's a DONATION, not a subscription which guarantees you 1 year of game play. In my opinion donators are not above the law.

PS. we have banned donators before, maybe not the day after, but they have been banned.

I meant for donating, not for breaking the rules.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Posts : 3220
Join date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by J8cob1 on 6/23/2012, 3:27 pm

Like CloudKesh
J8cob1
J8cob1
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 331
Join date : 2011-03-15
Age : 25
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by Kevo235 on 6/23/2012, 3:45 pm

J8cob1 wrote:Like CloudKesh

wrong.
Kevo235
Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

Posts : 3220
Join date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by J8cob1 on 6/23/2012, 4:21 pm

Was he not a donator who got banned for his incredibly loud mouth?
J8cob1
J8cob1
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 331
Join date : 2011-03-15
Age : 25
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by Leagle on 6/23/2012, 4:37 pm

Kevo235 wrote:
J8cob1 wrote:Like CloudKesh

wrong.
DD
Leagle
Leagle
Master Miner
Master Miner

Posts : 2491
Join date : 2011-01-10
Age : 27
Location : Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Oasis, why Empty Re: Oasis, why

Post by Nova042 on 6/23/2012, 5:29 pm

As much as I would love to slowly erase all 7 years of my college education talking about CloudKesh, I feel that the OP's question has been adequately answered and this thread is B-lining off topic. I'm going to lock it.
Nova042
Nova042
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

Posts : 693
Join date : 2011-02-27
Age : 36
Location : California, USA

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum