Oasis Ded??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oasis Ded??

Post by LadyLynn47 on 10/14/2017, 10:59 am

Hey everyone! 

So I've been grounded for a while now, and I just got back on to the server to see only one player? It's a Saturday afternoon? Even before I was grounded, no on was ever online. It's sorta scary and I seriously miss you all. Hopefully oasis can get its big population back soon...

Anyways, I love you all. I hope you have a great morning/afternoon/evening!
LadyLynn47
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oasis Ded??

Post by Lily GrayWolf on 10/15/2017, 2:31 pm

I must agree, @LadyLynn47. How it has been a long time since I have been online, the last time I was it was Friday evening, an often busy time on Oasis, I was the only player online.

Also to all of my fellow Oasis Pack members I am still truly sorry about my absence, am still trying to work my way out of this bottomless pit of groundedness DX
Lily GrayWolf
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2015delta on 10/15/2017, 8:12 pm

Well, I've been thinking about restarting my Oasis series. Myabe that'll help?
2015delta
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BABlaze on 10/16/2017, 5:49 pm

Yeah it has been really dead lately and I think its because most of the usual players have to much work this fall and there are not enough new ppl joining to fill in the space idk why though.

BABlaze
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BABlaze on 10/16/2017, 6:01 pm

Also just as a suggestion I was thinking it might be cool to open a small hardcore survival world where u cant get any tools better than stone or armor better than leather etc. just cause it would be fun to play without op gear so the mobs are actully hard to beat.

BABlaze
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork on 10/16/2017, 10:36 pm

Im no professional but let me try and give you guys some cause and effect here. Im seeing 2 things that are happening: our established player base is dwindling and we dont seem to have very many new people coming in to replace the older people that are leaving.

My guess is that yes, the people who have been playing on Oasis for the past however long have been busy with their lives. It happens. There are also a few people who are probably done with Minecraft now. That happens too, people move on all the time. As far as the server goes though, this can be very bad.

See, Im looking at 2 possible reasons why there havent been people joining the server much as of late. First, it looks like funding has been a little slow for a while. Not very many donor threads popping up here on the forums. Less money means keeping the server running is harder. It’s possible we’ve had to make a few concessions, for example, server listing. Without server listing, Oasis is a lot more likely to slip into obscurity. Not very many people will be able to find a server that isn’t there on, say, Minestatus or something. The second reason is that dwindling playerbase I mentioned. If people DO find this server and they see its dead and there are only 2 people online during peak hours, why would they bother to stick around? Who wants a public server with no people? Nobody, thats who.

So. The way I see it, things are a bit grim. Im not Mike, I cant tell you whats what, but it looks to me like Oasis is in a spot of trouble. Luckily, all of you can fix that. If you send a few bucks the servers way, Im sure it’ll be appreciated. Helps keep the lights on. Better yet, be active on the server. Just like a city, any good server is bound to have traffic. It’s healthy. Finally, start telling your friends. Get your homies online with you. The more people the better.

Worth mentioning, I dont really go online. Like many other people, I have my own demands to deal with. That means that my evaluation here is solely based on what I’ve seen from the forum side of things. I could be completely wrong. This could just be a seasonal lull. I dunno. Regardless, I will be donating some money to the server soon. Maybe I’ll even hop on at some point, if at all possible. I recommend you all do the same. I also think it would be good if Mike could hit us up with an update on these matters, that way you guys can see how woefully wrong I am in all this. At least, I hope Im wrong.
Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lina on 10/17/2017, 2:08 am

Hi

First: Agreed with Shnoork.

In general:
Keep in mind school is picking up half-way through the semester right now for a lot of people. For me, the second half of October always introduced a bunch of new projects, I spent November procrastinating, and the last two weeks of the semester were "Do or Die."

Maybe it's time for a reset. This map has been active for what, a year or more now? People are bored.

Remove the abandoned projects from the hub. (pixelmon / oasisz / whatever). They're a depressing reminder of what could have been. Or, get new projects.

Sugarcane Clicker: The Economy
Sugarcane is the new emerald. I don't know what heavily nerfing ore prices, then introducing the ability to sell crops to admin shop was supposed to accomplish. It's even easier than selling the emeralds, since it cut out villager trades altogether. This is a just personal nitpick of mine. I'd love to see a more active, diverse shopworld, if you can find a way to work towards that.

Bring back griefhouse. And build-offs. Actually run them. Put the times and dates on the forums so people know when to participate.

Fix the portal griefs and clean things up with all this slow, idle time. Maybe have players help build some nice things around them. Portal builds were always pretty. These portals are sad. I'm sorry.

I'm not trying to be That Guy, but things have been lackluster for while now, and it's a big part of why I don't bother logging on.

@players:
I think the youtube series delta's trying to do is a great idea, especially if more players got involved with it! Minecraft is way more fun with friends. Videos are fun to make, and if people enjoy the videos they might get curious and log on the server.

If series aren't your thing, you can also make little tutorials on how to get started here, how to use some of the plugins, do some speed builds, record minigames and events, etc. As long as you say Oasis SMP as the server you're playing on, it'll help. Streaming on twitch is also an option.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of minecraft videos in general, but my favorites are the ones where people act out stories with friends and roleplay their characters. I also love the music videos. Even the ones that are supposed to be bad. Minecraft music videos are quality entertainment. Stay golden.

The holidays are approaching; You could start a group project in preparation. Something like- remember how Gweedo use to make a big Christmas tree warp and give out presents? Halloween, Thanksgiving, and a ton of winter holidays are coming up.

I believe the server's 7th anniversary is coming up soon. I know it started in November 2010, but I forget the exact day. A festive event would be neat.

My 5th anniversary is soon, still trying to decide what to do for that :\

-----
I'm tired and really out of it, so that's all I have for now. The bottom line is when things fall into a rut and people have little to look forward to, they stop caring.
A personal example: I went a good 3 or 4 years where holidays were dead to me. Home life was heck, and we moved around a lot. Mom stopped decorating. All dad does is watch tv and sleep in his recliner. My brother is away at college now. I'm the only person in this house who gives a moop about the holidays. The reason I care is because I've made my own reasons for caring. I buy gifts for loved ones, I draw little pictures for close friends, I post festive things on my social pages, I go to an event or two in the town, I seek out those precious seasonal snacks, I listen to holiday music, etc. I'm out of my skin over financial issues right now, but I can still find something to look forward to here and there, and it keeps me going. Mom actually wants to go out and do something with me for Halloween this year, so maybe my efforts to celebrate made her want to as well?

Whatever happens on the server, I hope you all find some things to look forward to this season (with or without minecraft).

-------------
Unrelated: What did y'all do to get grounded (if you can say). I know at least 2 people here that were grounded at the same time I'm curious o-o;
Lina
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 10/17/2017, 7:06 am

Two things.

1 - We are actively aware that the server activity (for both staff and players) isn't what it used to be. I will not go into detail as to WHY, however I will acknowledge that yes, it does exist. 

2 - Server's 7th anniversary is November 10th 2017. I'd love to have a real big event, but sadly it's hard to do this when even during promotions we get like... 20 people at the most. 

(I apologize that this post is so short. I wanted to at least acknowledge and accept everybody's concern for the server rather than having me ramble.)

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 on 10/17/2017, 12:34 pm

This has been the trend for the past 6 years, tbh.
mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordTomenon on 10/17/2017, 1:17 pm

(#bring back ftb)

Edit:should clarify that i know it would be hard and expensive to do so won't happen but hey, wishful thinking?
LordTomenon
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 10/17/2017, 5:52 pm

mickdude2 wrote:This has been the trend for the past 6 years, tbh.
So sorry to disappoint you! 

LordTomenon wrote:(#bring back ftb)

Edit:should clarify that i know it would be hard and expensive to do so won't happen but hey, wishful thinking?
I would bring back FTB but sadly it's too resource-intensive (for both servers and player systems) not to mention $$. 
Pixelmon 2.0 (before Nintendo of America issued a Cease and Desist) was supposed to bring a FTB-like server back into the mix. And yes, I am aware that there are pixelmon mods out there that we could use in its place, but the experience wouldn't be the same.

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by BABlaze on 10/23/2017, 6:39 pm

Just a reminder that delta has oasis videos trying to support the server.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO0O5HEPuDA

Last edited by BABlaze on 10/23/2017, 7:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

BABlaze
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 10/23/2017, 6:42 pm

There's been feedback on your idea...

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by BABlaze on 10/23/2017, 7:04 pm

About the hardcore only leather armor and stone tools thing ???

Where I can't find it but I might have just missed it.

Last edited by BABlaze on 10/23/2017, 7:09 pm; edited 3 times in total

BABlaze
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 10/23/2017, 7:05 pm

Thought you were talking about dogfight, to be honest - you posted it a few days ago, so I thought that's what you were referring to.

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top