Regarding my gender

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Regarding my gender

Post by jandavey on Tue 14 Jun - 11:15

I really never thought I would have to make a post clarifying my gender. I am a leaf, impersonating a human. So when people speak to me, I really expect that I would get some kind of pronoun that would identify me as an equal to one of you. The word "it" is used on objects like your bed or a trash can. If you refer to a boat, car, or other vehicle as "she" and you call me an "it" then I feel offended that you would regard me as being worth less than a boat or car. 

   In Real Life
   In real life people have called me a "girl that looks like a guy" among other things which I do not wish to name. I identify as a male in real life but that's not how I am always treated. People who say "You're basically a girl so why don't you (blablabla)" probably offend me the most. Just because I sometimes wear makeup, like clothing if it looks nice and not what gender it's for, and like boys does not mean I am "basically a girl." Although luckily there are people that are respectful. The feminism club on our campus asked me to include the pronouns I would like to be referred to when I first introduced myself. All of the people in the club knew me already, but it was polite of them to ask so they can address me properly in the event I preferred different pronouns. The GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) at our school respectfully asked the same thing. And to point out another flaw with saying "it" is that if you were respectful you would never call a trans person that does not identify as male/female as an it. Am I just not a person/equal to you in your eyes? 

On Oasis
   Some people have been respectful enough to use they/they're/them/their when I say I am a leaf. I can't remember all people who have done this, but I thank you for respecting me as equal to you and not referring to me as if I am a bed or a printer. As for the gender I identify as, yes I identify as male but you can use any pronoun you choose, just do not ever refer to me as an it. I'm fine with they/they're/them/their/he/his/him/her/hers and don't have a preference for one pronoun over the other. The reason I'm fine with female pronouns is not because I see myself as female or being both male and female. It's because it's been something I've been comfortable with since I like hanging out with the GSA at our school and posting pictures like "watched a movie with the girls" and I'm fine with that. I'm not angry with anyone that has ever called me an "it" as I never really explained to anyone why that's such a bad thing. 




   Anyways, I did not ever expect to have to write this post. However, it became something that became necessary as more and more people started to go "leafs are not people and therefore are an it." Dogs are not people but you still occasionally refer to them as he/she. Once again, I am not angry with anyone that has ever used "it/it's/its" behind my back or to my face. I know this seems like a rant and I'm sorry you had to read all this. Though, if you've read this far thank you very much for reading. 


Last edited by jandavey on Tue 14 Jun - 11:21; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar fixes)

jandavey
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 399
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 125
Location : California, United States

View user profile http://leafblock.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by SilentSubscriber on Tue 14 Jun - 16:51

Dang, I guess i know now what to call a leaf ;D
Yea i refer to my dog as She/Her all the time
Also, the NSA emailed me looking for an alien (You need to hide!)


-Silent 

SilentSubscriber
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Posts : 209
Join date : 2015-11-08
Location : YouTube

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCajwveudwmWWcs3b3ItnTnw

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by Lina on Tue 14 Jun - 16:59

Good to know, must respect bootiful leaf fam .v.

Lina
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Posts : 648
Join date : 2015-06-26
Age : 22
Location : Trash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by Shnoork on Tue 14 Jun - 17:54

I always associated you with female pronouns. Probably because in my head I always thought of Janet Jackson when your name popped up. Its going to be hard to break that habit. Regardless, leafs are people too, dun discriminate, people.

Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Posts : 1258
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 18
Location : Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by John_Crichton on Wed 15 Jun - 11:28

A rose by any other name still smells of sweat....at least that's how I think it goes...you're just kewl oh leafy one. Always have been, always will be. Won't stop me from eating salads though.

John_Crichton
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

Posts : 104
Join date : 2014-12-03
Age : 352
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by Woorii on Wed 15 Jun - 13:53

I mean, I get your point, and power to ya, but like... a leaf is an object (unless it's some lingo the hip kids use these days). What I'm saying is I'm glad you made this post because I'm sure most people use the pronoun "it" when referring to a leaf, which is what caused the confusion.

Is it correct to say you are gender fluid? Because, if so, I was wondering which pronouns you prefer since you listed, like, all of them  P face

Woorii
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 315
Join date : 2014-01-25
Age : 18
Location : Swagville

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by mooselbell on Wed 15 Jun - 14:37

Beautifully written post. Seems obvious to me that everyone, human, leaf, moose, llamas, etc all deserve to be respected as players and not referenced as 'it'.
on a side note: when you would say you are a leaf, I always imagined you as a beautiful autumn maple leaf all yellow, orangy and red. :)

_________________

mooselbell
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posts : 84
Join date : 2015-03-02
Age : 41
Location : Connecticut, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by jandavey on Wed 15 Jun - 19:56

Silverarceus wrote:I mean, I get your point, and power to ya, but like... a leaf is an object (unless it's some lingo the hip kids use these days). What I'm saying is I'm glad you made this post because I'm sure most people use the pronoun "it" when referring to a leaf, which is what caused the confusion.

Is it correct to say you are gender fluid? Because, if so, I was wondering which pronouns you prefer since you listed, like, all of them  P face
Oh no no no, I'm not gender fluid. I'm fine with using her/hers pronouns typically if you knew me as Janet but only some people know me as that. I don't have a preference between his/him and their/them pronouns since they're both correct. I am a cisgender male.

jandavey
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 399
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 125
Location : California, United States

View user profile http://leafblock.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by LemonadeLlamas on Sun 19 Jun - 22:58

I am 100% on board with this post. As a trans guy, I have also been referred to as "it" on multiple occasions and it is one of the most hurtful things I have ever had happen to me. Please never do it. 
And For God's Sake, if you don't know someone's gender just say THEY ITS NOT HARD :D


Last edited by LemonadeLlamas on Sun 19 Jun - 23:28; edited 1 time in total

LemonadeLlamas
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 257
Join date : 2013-05-12
Age : 18
Location : Somewhere over the rainbow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by dtfgator on Sun 19 Jun - 23:12

Llama I don't think you're an "it" and I support you in every way. But can we address something I can't support? -- your use of dark blue text on a black background forums! My eyes hurt! We need to stop the epidemic of colored text on the oasis forums!

_________________
CEO, CFO, CTO, CLO of GatorCo. Industrial Group LLC™ and its subsidiaries - "Our work is for the profits"™

dtfgator
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2011-02-03
Age : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by LemonadeLlamas on Sun 19 Jun - 23:27

dtfgator wrote:Llama I don't think you're an "it" and I support you in every way. But can we address something I can't support? -- your use of dark blue text on a black background forums! My eyes hurt! We need to stop the epidemic of colored text on the oasis forums!
SORRY SORRY I JUST PICKED A COLOR ILL CHANGE IT

LemonadeLlamas
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 257
Join date : 2013-05-12
Age : 18
Location : Somewhere over the rainbow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by Lina on Mon 20 Jun - 0:11

Ok now I am curious - what type of leaf are you? Moose mentioned maple leaves. I pictured you as a bright green leaf but you could also be a bootiful maple leaf, or maybe you could even change colors with the seasons (J*v*)J
Palm leafs are also really neat. Oak, birch, elm, hawthorn...  the possibilities...

LemonadeLlamas wrote:
dtfgator wrote: My eyes hurt! We need to stop the epidemic of colored text on the oasis forums!
SORRY SORRY I JUST PICKED A COLOR ILL CHANGE IT
bold and bright red

Lina
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Posts : 648
Join date : 2015-06-26
Age : 22
Location : Trash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by SilentSubscriber on Mon 20 Jun - 0:28

But Blue is Beautiful!
#Bluelife
-Silent

SilentSubscriber
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Posts : 209
Join date : 2015-11-08
Location : YouTube

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCajwveudwmWWcs3b3ItnTnw

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by jandavey on Mon 20 Jun - 9:41

izumi4kona wrote:Ok now I am curious - what type of leaf are you? Moose mentioned maple leaves. I pictured you as a bright green leaf but you could also be a bootiful maple leaf, or maybe you could even change colors with the seasons (J*v*)J
Palm leafs are also really neat. Oak, birch, elm, hawthorn...  the possibilities...
   It would be difficult to name what kind of leaf I am coming from a different planet and currently, no leaf beings native to Planet Earth have the ability to learn several human languages in one leaf lifetime (to both my own and human knowledge) so it's hard to say. But the closest resemblance I have I have to a leaf in terms of appearance is the oak leaf. But not exactly.

jandavey
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 399
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 125
Location : California, United States

View user profile http://leafblock.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by bluespeedy11 on Mon 20 Jun - 10:32

thxs for saying I'm life silent

bluespeedy11
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

Posts : 100
Join date : 2015-03-17
Location : michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by HeyImLivvy on Mon 20 Jun - 13:07

I'm still gonna call you he >3<

HeyImLivvy
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

Posts : 251
Join date : 2015-12-27
Age : 14
Location : Indiana, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by SilentSubscriber on Mon 20 Jun - 14:29

bluespeedy11 wrote:thxs for saying I'm life silent
Your Welcome ;D
-Silent

SilentSubscriber
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

Posts : 209
Join date : 2015-11-08
Location : YouTube

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCajwveudwmWWcs3b3ItnTnw

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding my gender

Post by x_fioramaster18 on Tue 21 Jun - 21:19

Yeah I totally get it I usually identify as league of legends master and people just don't get it... I am Cool.

If you want to go by amelanchier laevis that's completely fine.

x_fioramaster18
Tree Puncher
Tree Puncher

Posts : 1
Join date : 2016-06-21
Location : riot's basement

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum