Building a personal SMP server

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Building a personal SMP server

Post by madscientist032 on 5/14/2011, 5:12 pm

Ok guys so for the summer I am planning on building my own personal Minecraft server. Even though I am extremely well-rehearsed with computers and whatnot, I need a little bit of help and feedback from you guys. I'm going to be creating a personal MC SMP server, and this is pretty much the requirements / what I know about Minecraft server.

1. Needs to have TONS of RAM. (ok maybe not tons but I'm looking at 4GB or more)
2. Will be hosting at least 5 people, maybe 10 max. Definitely hosting for 2 users this summer.
3. Need a dual-core processor. (I'd normally go with Intel but AMD's price point is extremely attractive right now...)
4. Decent upload / download speed (aka internet connection). This will be fine as it will be hosted by my school and I will have 0 problems.
5. Fast primary disk

I also plan on installing Linux (haven't figured out which distro, but it's probably going to be debian-based) on the machine before I install MC server. Going 64-bit (hence the 4+ GB of RAM, probably GSKLL ). The main disk will either be a set of 4 160GB Hitachi 7200RPM 2.5'' hard drives in a RAID0 or a single OCZ / Corsair SSD. I already have a case - I'll be using an old Dell Dimension 2400 case. Probably will need a newer PSU, now that I think about it.

OH. Also needs to be within the pricerange of $300 max. I already have the harddrives, case, and internet connection, but I will need a CPU, MOBO, PSU, and RAM. And I already have a small VGA monitor, so I don't have to worry about that part.

Thoughts / comments / suggestions down below.

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Re: Building a personal SMP server

Post by saeTan on 5/14/2011, 8:56 pm

Well, I can definitely help you out here. You might be going
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too far for a server. Here are the specs you would need to host for 10 people:

Ram: 2gb DDR2 min | 2gb DDR3 max. You don't need any fancy RAM, just basic stuff.
OS: Just go with Ubuntu server edition, I find it the best for server hosting. Plus when doing something simple like hosting a server, you don't need anything fancy like mint.
HD: Hell, go buy a $10 20gb 7200 RPM HDD, you don't need anything bigger
Processor: Yes, a dual core. You can probably just get an intel core 2 duo or quad core duo for cheap. AMD, I'd get an Athlon II. Wait, #%&! - just get a Phenom II, it's one of AMD's best processors, and in the same price range as the intels.
Connection: Well, yeah.

PSU - just go get a cheap low power one - it's all you need.

And just a side opinion - when we started out, ariley hosted the server off of his macbook pro. With 10 people, it ran fine, while he was playing minecraft, and browsing the forums. And if you can just go spend $300 on a mincraft server box, you could probably just host it off your computer.

Hope this helped :)

saeTan
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 5/14/2011, 9:39 pm

Well if ariley was able to host from a macbook pro, then I should be able to host from a laptop, no? I have access to plenty of laptops at work, and I'd probably use a Lenovo T61, with these specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4Ghz
2GB DDR3 SDRAM
100GB 7,200RPM HD
Gigabit Ethernet
90 watt power adapter
Windows 7 32bit (but I would install Ubuntu linux like Saetan suggested)
Broken LCD screen (so it would be a headless machine)

What do you think? Cheaper option than what I originally posted? (The T61 in question is NOT my primary machine, BTW).

Last edited by madscientist032 on 5/14/2011, 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Serado on 5/14/2011, 9:43 pm

Do I get to be one of the ten? :P

Serado
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 5/14/2011, 10:27 pm

Depends on if I can get this thing up and running soon. I'll drop you a PM in-game as soon as I can get the laptop running.

EDIT: The only reason I want to have my own server is because it's this year's summer project, or at least one of them. (the other is an HTPC build).

Last edited by madscientist032 on 5/15/2011, 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More details)

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by saeTan on 5/15/2011, 2:51 pm

Yeah, those specs would be better than perfect. You definitely could use windows 7, if you didn't want to go through the trouble of installing Ubuntu. You would just notice a slight performance increase. Also, I trust that you know the basics of Linux, like installing java.

saeTan
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by acsempronio on 5/26/2011, 8:14 pm

There was a user calculator somewhere out there and I found on my home system, with my connection... I could handle 18 people.

Minecraft has terribly low overhead but the problem comes with chunk saving, which eats up large amounts of bandwidth but over a very short amount of time... press f3 and yo can see the blips everytime you change the landscape... mine a rock... blip, grab resources, another blip... move around, and blips look like a heart attack.

Now multiply that over 30+ people and you see why we get lag when over 24 people are online.

acsempronio
Lapis Miner
Lapis Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top