What do you want in PvP?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you want in PvP?

Post by OsgaTharp on 9/5/2014, 4:36 pm

I'd like to get any opinions and ideas for what you guys want to see in PvP. It can be anything from kits to plugins. I will answer and check everything you guys post so please don't hold back. Below is some ideas I've had and it would be nice to get some feedback along with some other ideas.

MythicMobs
With this we could world events in pvp. Set a mob to spawn everyday or every tuesday/thursday and it announced to the chat the it has spawned. It would require a team to kill and the boss would drop amazing loot. This would sort of push teams to be more active and try to get these kills while having to possibly fight other teams who want the loot. Could have any number of bosses spawn at any times. This could also be useful in SMP.

http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/mythicmobs/

King of the Hill (Koth)
This was originally a bust but I'm searching for something to make for it. The idea was to have an event every Saturday and have teams fight for a hill point on a castle or some sort of base. Any team member must stay inside of the hill for 10 minutes to receive the loot. I could see this starting some huge team fights if properly setup. The issue is that the plugin required kits and 2 premade teams. I'm trying to find another plugin for this and if anyone has any ideas, please say so! If worst comes to worst we could just do it ourselves and watch the hill point.

Ingame Bounties
Lots of players don't even know we have a bounty topic on the forums and this would just make paying and setting up bounties easier.

http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/bounty-snorri/

Smaller Map
I'd prefer us have a smaller map and then be forced to expand it when we get too many players rather than have too big of a map and no one finds eachother. With a smaller map we could give the players back their /home.

The end
Having an event where we open the end in PvP would draw some attention and it would be easy to setup. Teams could go in and fight eachother while trying to kill the dragon. Could leave the end open for 12 hours and let them get enderpearls, dragon kills, and have some fights.

Bringing back /home
Removing it to begin with was mostly my decision, but I think it turned people away from playing. With a much smaller map, it would still be possible to find bases that are a hole in the ground with no entrance. So no /home works with a large map and /home works with a small map. I'd like to try a small map with /home.

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you want in PvP?

Post by Guest on 9/5/2014, 5:49 pm

-In favor of smaller map with /home. I think the lack of home turned a lot of people off, especially without /random working. If /random was working, might be different. I wouldn't even mind a 1000x1000 map tbh. It's not like anyone's building towns and castle fortresses that would cause a scarcity of space.. and if they are, it'l be blown to smithereens the moment it's found xD

-In favor of an ingame bounty plugin; not everyone uses the forums, and the bounty section is barely used... + bounties get you the player's skull, you can make the bounties anonymous if wished, and it can be enabled for pvp alone without affecting other worlds.

-In favor of Mythic Mobs, we can customize the bosses a lot.
It's also compatible with a quest plugin that seems kinda neat. Might be a bit involved to jump into right now, but could be considered in the future maybe.
Offtopic, but I find their "upcoming features" intriguing... especially the one about sheep attacking.

- PVP end would be great, tons of exp for those who manage to kill it and stay alive with people attacking them

-King of the hill sounds like a blast... if you can't find a plugin that will work, we might be able to make do with staff monitoring the point(s) to see who/howlong people where in there. We could also do something where we start the clock, give it ten minutes, and the team that has the most members in the room at the end of the time will get loot. If teams' members in the point are tied, we can always extend to a sort of "sudden death" and wait for them to become uneven. We could set up a spot in one of staff's worlds for convenience so others can add things if they want. There's a lot we could do with this.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordTomenon on 9/5/2014, 6:24 pm

I would love having /home again, its disappearance had me stop playing. A smaller map would be great, less places to hide.
But the thing I want to suggest is a plugin that would allow better teams. Most teams I have been in, I ended up being back stabbed. What I want to see is a plugin where the team leader would create a team, kind of like a party, and invite players, then they are immune to each other's attacks. Each team would also have its own party chat for better communication between more than one player. This, plus the other suggestions, would bring me back to PvP.

Another suggestion would be a large PvP game, with two separate teams, Red and Blue. When you join you are sorted into one team or the other. This would be on a different PvP map, and both teams would have a separate spawn, a team base or castle to take refuge at. Just an idea, but I would LOVE this, and I think others would too.

Thanks,
~LordT

LordTomenon
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What do u want in pvp?

Post by retkojy on 9/5/2014, 6:28 pm

LordTomenon wrote:I would love having /home again, its disappearance had me stop playing. A smaller map would be great, less places to hide.
But the thing I want to suggest is a plugin that would allow better teams. Most teams I have been in, I ended up being back stabbed. What I want to see is a plugin where the team leader would create a team, kind of like a party, and invite players, then they are immune to each other's attacks. Each team would also have its own party chat for better communication between more than one player. This, plus the other suggestions, would bring me back to PvP.

Another suggestion would be a large PvP game, with two separate teams, Red and Blue. When you join you are sorted into one team or the other. This would be on a different PvP map, and both teams would have a separate spawn, a team base or castle to take refuge at. Just an idea, but I would LOVE this, and I think others would too.

Thanks,
~LordT
LordT no btter way to say it I would love teams that tare immune to eachother and a smaller map with /home

retkojy
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OsgaTharp on 9/5/2014, 6:39 pm

Lord wrote:But the thing I want to suggest is a plugin that would allow better teams. Most teams I have been in, I ended up being back stabbed.

Plugins can't really help that, if we implemented a team plugin they could just leave it/kick you and kill you. A team plugin would be nice but we'd need one without an ingame prefix because it wouldnt look good with [PvP][Tag] Name.

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fithboy on 9/6/2014, 5:04 am

All those suggestions sound great! Maybe have one day a week where all the PvP events happen, this will let people build resources and teams through the week the put it to the test on say Friday nights or Saturdays. This would gather more people as there would be a set time, not just random whenever. More people means bigger team fights and more action

Fithboy
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/xxXDennoXxx/

Back to top Go down

Post by OsgaTharp on 9/11/2014, 1:12 pm

Any other ideas? Feel free to speak up!

And a few things that won't be added:
Factions
Mcmmo (Causes imbalence for new players vs old)
Team plugins with prefixes
Anything that requires client side mods

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 9/11/2014, 1:24 pm

Regular map resets. These can be bi-monthly or monthly or whenever. Map reset would include wiping PVP-map inventories. 

Just a thought to keep things fresh.

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Post by OsgaTharp on 9/11/2014, 1:31 pm

madscientist032 wrote:Regular map resets. These can be bi-monthly or monthly or whenever. Map reset would include wiping PVP-map inventories. 

Just a thought to keep things fresh.

I've never been a fan of map resets because having to re-obtain prot IV diamond gear every other month would be a major turnoff for me and I wouldnt want to work hours and hours for things to be reset. From an administrator point of view it would be nice to level the playing field for newer players but as a player it doesn't seem so great. I've only ever seen scheduled map resets on Huuuuge servers with factions that spin out of control (Shotbows PvP).

What's everyone else's opinion on this?

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 9/11/2014, 1:39 pm

Monthly resets would be a bit of a pain, even from an administrative perspective. Honestly if the path moving forward with PVP included a regular reset, then my recommendation would be every three to four months the map and inventories would reset, and it would be done on the same date every time. This would be similar to how we hold promotions on the last Saturday of every month.

So for example we could open up a new PVP map when the server updates to 1.8, and then on the third month, during the Tuesday maintenance window, the PVP map + inventories would be reset and the playing ground would become level again.

Again, just a thought. I'm not the PVP expert here.

I want to hear other players' thoughts about this as well.

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gweedo358 on 9/11/2014, 2:12 pm

You asked for opinions ... SORRY... this is all my opinion.

I wish it wasn't on Oasis. The past months PVP hasn't had many players maybe one or two every couple of days it has been empty, dead empty.

PVP has brought the worst out in people. I brings arguments and hate. Every time there is more than a few players in pvp all you see in chat is "He's /She's spawn camping". "Gimmy  back my stuff". "You are cheating"
and just general arguments over the smallest things. Those arguments have caused friends to stop being friends, It has caused people to leave the server.

Again this my Opinion... not the STAFF.

Gweedo358
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rayvenx on 9/11/2014, 2:54 pm

In response to what Gweedo said, while I wouldn't necessarily like to see PvP removed, I do think it needs some work in regards to perhaps adding "rules". When I think PvP as it is and what is is compared to the normal game, it is meant to be cut throat survival with no rules. People are having a hard time differentiating between the SMP world and PvP world. They go into PvP expecting it to be regulated and I don't believe that is what it was intended to be.

I also think that some people (myself included) see PvP as just killing each other. Again, to me, the current PvP world is intended to be more like the true minecraft experience: no rules, the way the game was programmed and designed to be. Personally I enjoy the protection from creeper grief and other players in the main world.

Above I said "rules". What I mean by that is maybe make it like Skyblock where it requires an app and/or anyone complaining about "cheating" has their access to PvP revoked.

In closing, I think what people really want in PvP is the ability to kill each other for whatever reason. I propose that it be an arena only and not an open world like it is currently. If people want to kill each other they still can. I know others have balked at my suggestions for anything resembling a game on the server because it is SMP but perhaps an arena with plugins for classes and what not could be a positive addition since PvP is already a thing on the server.

Edit: I didn't read Osga's original post but my above statements still stand. I would like to add though that if we're looking to make additions to the current world, perhaps adding commands that are able to be used in the main would (such as /home) would be nice to have. Though keep it the same across the board; no donator perks that give an advantage.

Rayvenx
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FerociousFeline on 9/11/2014, 3:10 pm

I actually really like Lord's idea. I recently found a pvp server where you have two teams only one was called the Alliance (and it was like you choose to be an elf or two other options and each 'race' came with two special abilities like the elf had high jump and speed) and The other one was called something like the rebels or something and it was pretty cool pvp its just like survival just two different teams and then a special effect for your 'race'. 
  I hate the idea of the map being reset as well as the inventory? Yeah sorry i wouldnt play pvp if that were the case...
I am in favor for the In game bounties, /home, smaller map, the end, and most definately Mythic Mobs. Ive played with this plugin before i believe and it was...so MUCH FUN OH MY GOD I COULD NEVER GET ENOUGH.

ALSO Lazyshadows (she has been on the server a few times never got memeber rank though but i talk to her daily on skype and facebook :P )she had a pvp server and she had some really weird and super amazing plugins regarding bosses spawning, and a 'blood moon' where all mobs were 10 times harder to beat even your normal one. Things like 'the ground is shaking...' and an ARMY OF BABY ZOMBIES WOULD FLOOD THE AREA!! Or when Someone who was stronger than you was a certian distance away it would warn you about a powerful presence It was so cool, and of course the bosses dropped some ultra amazing items!!! Weird enchantments and just...it was so much fun i was so sad to see it have to be closed down :'( That was the last server i had declared home until it closed because of funds :/ 

Anyways thats just what i think, frankly the way pvp is set up right now its boring to me personally so im not on it...

FerociousFeline
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OsgaTharp on 9/11/2014, 3:54 pm

Ferocious wrote:ALSO Lazyshadows (she has been on the server a few times never got memeber rank though but i talk to her daily on skype and facebook :P )she had a pvp server and she had some really weird and super amazing plugins regarding bosses spawning, and a 'blood moon' where all mobs were 10 times harder to beat even your normal one. Things like 'the ground is shaking...' and an ARMY OF BABY ZOMBIES WOULD FLOOD THE AREA!! Or when Someone who was stronger than you was a certian distance away it would warn you about a powerful presence It was so cool, and of course the bosses dropped some ultra amazing items!!! Weird enchantments and just...it was so much fun i was so sad to see it have to be closed down :'( That was the last server i had declared home until it closed because of funds :/

Anyways thats just what i think, frankly the way pvp is set up right now its boring to me personally so im not on it...

Blood moon and other stuff like that is good but I dont want to overwhelm the PvP world with constant events. I'll make sure to check them out though. As for the presence thing, it would ruin a lot of potential fights because people can just teleport away before combat starts. Also, why is it boring? You are doing what you do in the SMP world except you can fight. I'd only see it being boring because of the lack of people.

Rayvenx wrote: I propose that it be an arena only and not an open world like it is currently. If people want to kill each other they still can. I know others have balked at my suggestions for anything resembling a game on the server because it is SMP but perhaps an arena with plugins for classes and what not could be a positive addition since PvP is already a thing on the server.

We've had only an arena before in the past. People from SMP could fight with their SMP gear and people just wanted to actually have a world. It wasn't bad but people wanted more. Keep in mind we are a SMP server so our PvP will probably remain a survival world.

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FerociousFeline on 9/11/2014, 4:03 pm

Osgatharp wrote:

Blood moon and other stuff like that is good but I dont want to overwhelm the PvP world with constant events. I'll make sure to check them out though. As for the presence thing, it would ruin a lot of potential fights because people can just teleport away before combat starts. Also, why is it boring? You are doing what you do in the SMP world except you can fight. I'd only see it being boring because of the lack of people.

(i dont know how to just take what you said back to me sorry XP )
It got boring because no people, and i was spoiled rotten with Lazyshadows pvp server with all the events XD all of the unexpected events didnt make me feel overwhelmed in fact it made every next minute more exciting because you didnt know what was going to happen next! However that is just me .w. im bad at pvp so ive grown to loosing everything i get it bothers me less and less each time it happends XD

FerociousFeline
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 on 9/11/2014, 6:02 pm

Gweedo358 wrote:You asked for opinions ... SORRY... this is all my opinion.

I wish it wasn't on Oasis. The past months PVP hasn't had many players maybe one or two every couple of days it has been empty, dead empty.

PVP has brought the worst out in people. I brings arguments and hate. Every time there is more than a few players in pvp all you see in chat is "He's /She's spawn camping". "Gimmy  back my stuff". "You are cheating"
and just general arguments over the smallest things. Those arguments have caused friends to stop being friends, It has caused people to leave the server.

Again this my Opinion... not the STAFF.

This.

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OsgaTharp on 9/11/2014, 6:40 pm

Can we keep on the topic of Improving PvP. We asked opinions about resets and plugins. I understand that PvP is not for everyone, but can we have this topic be productive, please.

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordTomenon on 10/12/2014, 9:14 pm

Sorry for reviving the thread, but a new idea struck me.

What if, for the PvP in 1.8, we did one of the new custom worlds for the PvP map? We could use the presets for the map, for example using the 'Good Luck' or 'Drought' premade map types to make the game a bit more harder and thus making us rely on teams more. Just a thought, most likely will be shot down, but it's something that came to mind.

LordTomenon
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 10/12/2014, 9:19 pm

LordTomenon wrote:Sorry for reviving the thread, but a new idea struck me.

What if, for the PvP in 1.8, we did one of the new custom worlds for the PvP map? We could use the presets for the map, for example using the 'Good Luck' or 'Drought' premade map types to make the game a bit more harder and thus making us rely on teams more. Just a thought, most likely will be shot down, but it's something that came to mind.

'Tis a possibility.

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by shadeyghost on 10/13/2014, 12:43 am

ermahgerd lord, DAS AMAZEBAWLS, i would  love to see that happen, and hopefully those teams dont BETRAY us .-.

shadeyghost
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NostrumDomus on 10/13/2014, 9:30 am

The first thing that came to mind when you said this was fallout. I'm not entirely sure why but I love the concept of extreme survival and doing whatever you had to do to survive...it might bring out the worst in people though >.>

NostrumDomus
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10/13/2014, 3:54 pm

We could have that game from 1.4 with the ghasts again. Was a one-time thing but it was so fun ;A;

4 players competed to see who could survive the longest in a tower. Taccy spawned waves of ghasts in the center that attacked the players and blew up portions of the towers. Also the towers where on floating islands I think.

Could modify it to accommodate more players and hold it every so often.
Towers weren't huge, but that game went on for a while *-*

Back to top Go down

Post by OsgaTharp on 10/13/2014, 7:14 pm

That's a good idea. The only issue is that some people already think PvP is too hard. Maybe have zones that have fallout and some protected spawners or something along those lines that makes the land basically uninhabitable. Could really do anything with the top part of the landscape because no one should be living there anyways. 

Lina wrote:We could have that game from 1.4 with the ghasts again. Was a one-time thing but it was so fun ;A;

4 players competed to see who could survive the longest in a tower. Taccy spawned waves of ghasts in the center that attacked the players and blew up portions of the towers. Also the towers where on floating islands I think.

I liked the Ghast games but I don't think it needs to be in PvP unless we want to allow player to attack other towers and kill the opposing team. Which sounds pretty fun with ghasts raining death from above.

Also feel free to keep this thread alive. It lets staff know you guys are interested in PvP and what YOU want in it.

OsgaTharp
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordTomenon on 10/14/2014, 2:20 pm

Osga, players complained about PvP before this thread popped up, but once we add a few of the things that were suggested previously, the game will be a lot less dull and a lot more exciting. And I'm still all about my second suggestion, the large double team game where each player is sorted into the Red or Blue team. I think this would be a huge success.

LordTomenon
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retkojy on 10/14/2014, 2:28 pm

I want a CTF game in 1.8 PVP

retkojy
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile