...Well, Here we go again!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by simbalvr123 on 7/27/2014, 4:44 pm

I'm sure a lot of you remember the Lovebird Mystery and how I had no idea how my two birds in my aviary were killed, right???

My remaining bird, A cockatiel named Nigel, was attacked last night!!!

His left foot is injured, and though he can still stand on his remaining foot and fly around, I don't have much hope for him...

Before we got the Lovebirds, I had a  blue parakeet named Skyler. He was attacked by a rat in his cage, and his LEFT FOOT, [coincidence? I think not.] was bitten clean off! He died 5 days later.

Though Nigel's foot is not bitten off completely, I still fear he will face the same fate as Skyler... ;-;
But, He still has a chance of Survival...

Suggestions anyone? I need to know how i can help Nigel recover!
Sad to go over this topic once again... ;-;
-Simba

simbalvr123
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ...Well, Here we go again!

Post by FerociousFeline on 7/27/2014, 4:54 pm

At this rate id just keep him inside honestly .3. I keep ALL my birds inside! in a tile area so i can sweep up any mess easy...our parrot morgan stays near our doorway, we take her out in a sperate and smaller cage and put her outside near a window so we can watch her .w. 
    As for the your injured bird id suggest if its a deep wound some hydroxide( i think thats how you spell it..) to get rid of bacteria/infection. Water away gently the blood first clean up the wound like you would to any dog or human...
     Side note: My mom takes in alot of injured birds one time she found a baby and it had been dropped by a hawk and the hawk had completely poked through and scratched away some of its flesh near its neck, my mom too supper glue (the kind you can also use on humans) and she supper glued the two pieces of skin together. It lived and healed fine and flew away when it was older .w.

FerociousFeline
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalvr123 on 7/27/2014, 5:00 pm

Thx Fero!! Just what we were thinking. I'm gonna take him to see the vet and get an antibiotic for his foot, then keep him inside until he recovers... or forever. I guess the aviary isn't safe enough...

simbalvr123
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 on 7/27/2014, 5:14 pm

Google will tell you anything. Also, what fero said seems pretty awesome... Gonna go try that on my brother.

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheerioes on 7/27/2014, 6:52 pm

Do you have cats? They can easily get their claws on a bird, even inside a cage. A neighbor had a gerbil in a wire cage and their cat bit half of his tail right off!

Cheerioes
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dementia_bourne on 7/28/2014, 6:49 am

reading this saddens me greatly as i have lost several cockatiels in the past... from the sound of the attack i would think it to be a rat or a squirrel. where i live in the united states we have a grey squirrel problem and they will eat birds if it is an easy kill, and their attack is to always go for legs and wings first.

even if the wound is shallow use hydrogen peroxide and water (use a leather or pig skin glove as the smell of the chemical will freak the bird out!) make sure afterward that they have a warm spot to nest in and do NOT allow them to perch far from the ground. if the cockatiel is weak they will actually lose their grip on the perch in their sleep, or at random while awake even! 

hang in there man!

Dementia_bourne
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalvr123 on 7/29/2014, 1:16 am

Nigel [my birdie] is recovering slowly. He can still use his remaining food to stand on perches and his foot that was bitten is still attached so he can use it to climb, but he is in a lot of pain. putting on antiseptic ointments and neosporin... pray for my poor one legged birdie plz. ;-;

-Simba

simbalvr123
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum