Free computer cleaner (NOT A SCAM!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Free computer cleaner (NOT A SCAM!)

Post by MisterDoctorPeppa on 5/27/2014, 11:04 pm

Hey guys i just wanted all of you to know an easy way to clean your computer and protect/get rid of certain malware and spyware. The program is called CCleaner. there are 2 versions, the free one (I use it), and the 25.00$ one which is the best. This site and program are 100% legit and there are no scams. I have been using it for 2 years now and my computer runs almost flawlessly. The site also WILL NOT give your computer a virus. Just wanted to share this with all of you so we can all play oasis a lot smoother. 

Link to the site: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

MisterDoctorPeppa
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Free computer cleaner (NOT A SCAM!)

Post by Gr00veDriftTreh on 5/28/2014, 12:34 am

I am already aware of this program and I know it is 'legit' but its basically a cluster of programs that are usually already on the computer. Disk defragmentors, temporary file deletion, and unused program management are some of the key actions that this program makes all of which are possible without it with the computers own programs and control panel features. If you are not computer literate this may help you but its usually the safest bet to learn how to use the available programs on your computer.

My Psychs be all like...:

Goes well with...

Gr00veDriftTreh
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon on 5/28/2014, 1:37 am

I do love the simplicity it adds in disabling a bunch of unneeded programs from starting up with the OS. Definitely has a user friendly interface for those non-tech savvy users.

I would prefer users download it from it's official website though: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
It's always best, and more secure to download a program from it's original site ;)

But I want to mention, CCleaner DOES NOT protect your computer nor detect viruses/spyware/malware. It's main features are to 'clean up' clutter such as junk files and broken registry keys & errors, etc.

For virus protection, Malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org) & Spybot Search & Destroy (safer-networking.org) will do the job splendidly. I highly recommend buying Malwarebytes Pro/Premium. Both offer free versions, though the paid subscription for Malwarebytes has Live Protection. Alternatively for Windows 7 & older, Microsoft Security Essentials is free with Live Protection. Though it pales greatly to Malwarebytes

In short: Do NOT rely on CCleaner to protect your PC nor remove viruses

That is not is function and it lacks the ability to do so.

raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

View user profile http://raidenraccoon.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Krazo on 5/28/2014, 3:32 am

I myself use:

CCleaner
Avira anti virus

Have the free version of both and they work perfectly.
Oh and, CHECK BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD STUFF.

That stops most the virus's, READING before you download stuff. Check the reputation of the uploader, read the comments and check the age of the download.

Krazo
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leagle on 5/28/2014, 6:58 am

Best protection for your computer would be Common Sense™ Antivirus.

It's free. So no worries about money. It's lightweight. It will never affect your computers performance.
It will protect you from almost, if not, all viruses, malware and spyware that's out there.
Only thing you will have to do is set it up right. So make sure it starts up when your computer starts. It should also keep itself up to date. If it doesn't, then there must be something you did wrong... A lot of people seem to have a problem with that.
I've been using it for the last 3 years, and i love it! Never had any problems thus far. Highly recommended!

Leagle
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://nigge.rs/id/loadsamoney

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 5/28/2014, 7:29 am

I too use Common Sense Antivirus. Saves me some money every year and I've never gotten a virus.

MalwareBytes and Spybot Search and Destroy are very good tools to clean off viruses if you get them. ComboFix is also really nice but it is highly volatile and will muck up your system if you do not use it properly. At college I used Eset NOD32 antivirus; it was great and I loved it. But then I graduated and my student copy expired, so I just switched to Common Sense Antivirus. Works like a charm.

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon on 5/28/2014, 3:08 pm

Never heard of Common Sense AV before. May look into it for my niece's & nephew's PCs since they only have Security Essentials as their Live Protection anti-virus. Every month when I run a check up on their PCs, Malwarebytes (free) always picks up several things that slipped past it.

And Krazo's advice is top notch: be aware of what you're downloading and where you're downloading it from. This is why I suggested getting software from the official/original site. Also NEVER click links unless it's to a site you know. Be sure to check the URL's spelling too. Lots of knock off sites with similar yet misspelled versions of the originals with malicious intent.

raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination on 5/28/2014, 4:00 pm

raidenraccoon wrote:Never heard of Common Sense AV before. May look into it

Its not real software. Its them/us actually using common sense before downloading something. If its too good to be true, it usually is.

Paxination
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by flomzilla on 5/28/2014, 4:38 pm

Paxination wrote:

Its not real software.  Its them/us actually using common sense before downloading something.  If its too good to be true, it usually is.
I spent more than 10 minutes googling common sense AV. GG.

flomzilla
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gr00veDriftTreh on 5/28/2014, 8:39 pm

I also run Common Sense AV but there are some compatibility issues with my version of it. It seems to work with me but every other user on my computer has issues with it....

^ I also recommend to be aware of what your downloading. I'm seeing a trend of 'checkout downloads' that during your download there is additional agreements to download additional programs. The biggest culprits I've seen is updates for internet browsers. Even though the add ons and search bars are non malicious they can significantly slow and bug your computer.

(Am I the only one here seeing that this thread is becoming a digital safety seminar? Not exactly a bad thing just an observation)

Last edited by Gr00veDriftTreh1 on 5/28/2014, 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : seeing not swing... consider my auto correct fired...)

My Psychs be all like...:

Goes well with...

Gr00veDriftTreh
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pokekid3847 on 5/28/2014, 9:42 pm

Gr00veDriftTreh1 wrote: I'm swing a trend of 'checkout downloads' that during your download there is additional agreements to download additional programs.
Yeah, A lot of software download sites do this. (Sites like Cnet and Softonic)

pokekid3847
Diamond Miner
Diamond Miner

View user profile http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/ivyious

Back to top Go down

Post by mickdude2 on 5/28/2014, 9:43 pm

pokekid3847 wrote:
Gr00veDriftTreh1 wrote: I'm swing a trend of 'checkout downloads' that during your download there is additional agreements to download additional programs.
Yeah, A lot of software download sites do this. (Sites like Cnet and Softonic)
The worst are the sites that download as soon as you go on them. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

mickdude2
Professional Miner
Professional Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon on 5/29/2014, 2:33 am

@Pax
Sad thing is common sense will never be a 100% guarantee. Even a computer that has never been connected to internet is at risk. Viruses can come via CD/DVDs & USB Drives.

Not to mention ads on some websites can install viruses, among other elements on a site. Granted, common sense can be effective in avoiding some of the worst infections.

I'd also like to suggest Adblock Plus (browser add on by adblockplus.org) Sucker even blocks those ads that play before youtube videos.

@Gr00ve, @pokekid
Another reason why I highly recommend Malwarebytes Pro/Premium. These are often referred to as PUPs or Potentially Unwanted Programs. It usually detects them and removes them. Not to mention the live scanner will catch and block the parts of installers that have these extra programs bundles most of the time.

raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Battleaxe365 on 5/29/2014, 5:02 am

flomzilla wrote:
Paxination wrote:

Its not real software.  Its them/us actually using common sense before downloading something.  If its too good to be true, it usually is.

Flom, I worry about you sometimes, rarely, but sometimes.

Battleaxe365
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madscientist032 on 5/29/2014, 9:08 am

Here's my honest setup on my current PC.

- Microsoft Security Essentials (Replaced ESET NOD32 when it expired last year)
- Adblock Plus (installed on both Chrome and Firefox as extention/add-on)
- Web of Trust (WOT - Installed as extension for both Chome + Firefox)
- Disconnect (installed as extention/addon for Chrome/firefox)

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free antivirus program that is lightweight and does a great job at detecting viruses (even those that come in via usb sticks and the like!) Alternatively, AVG, Avira, or even Avast! Antivirus are good if you don't like Microsoft's free solution.

Adblock plus blocks ads on internet pages (like the forums), preventing/reducing accidental infection by clicking on a bad ad. Also helps to speed up website load times. Available for Chrome and Firefox. (sorry Internet Explorer users!)

Web Of Trust (WOT) gives a visual indicator for the "goodness" of the site you are currently on or about to click on (if it is a Google/Bing/Yahoo search link). If the reputation of the site is bad, the plugin actually prompts you before you can continue to the site. Basically like a "hey this isn't a good site, you should probably leave before shit gets real" sort of notification. Very handy. (Available for Chrome + Firefox and not IE)

Disconnect blocks some tracking cookies used by Facebook/twitter/tumblr/other social media sites and makes your browsing experience a bit faster (less shit to load) and more private. Again, available for (you guessed it) Firefox and Chrome.

I've been using and recommending these programs/extensions for the past 5 years now, and I've had literally thousands of people who take my recommendations and are happy with them, from both a money aspect and a performance aspect.

madscientist032
Oasis SMP Owner
Oasis SMP Owner

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/madscientist032

Back to top Go down

Post by Leagle on 5/29/2014, 9:16 am

raidenraccoon wrote:Never heard of Common Sense AV before. May look into it for my niece's & nephew's PCs since they only have Security Essentials as their Live Protection anti-virus.
flomzilla wrote:I spent more than 10 minutes googling common sense AV. GG.

Got em.

Though in all seriousness.
Raidenraccoon raised a valid point: "It's always best, and more secure to download a program from it's original site ;)".
I would advice everyone to avoid those mass software sites which offer software that's not even theirs.
Also ALWAYS read through the install process of a program. A lot of em will try to install some sponsored bloatware OR for example try to change your browsers homepage to some fake search engine to make money off your searches and data that they will sell to 3rd parties.

Leagle
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile http://nigge.rs/id/loadsamoney

Back to top Go down

Post by Paxination on 5/29/2014, 3:31 pm

flomzilla wrote:
Paxination wrote:

Y

Paxination
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by raidenraccoon on 5/29/2014, 3:37 pm

madscientist032 wrote:Here's my honest setup on my current PC.

- Microsoft Security Essentials (Replaced ESET NOD32 when it expired last year)
- Adblock Plus (installed on both Chrome and Firefox as extention/add-on)
- Web of Trust (WOT - Installed as extension for both Chome + Firefox)
- Disconnect (installed as extention/addon for Chrome/firefox)

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free antivirus program that is lightweight and does a great job at detecting viruses (even those that come in via usb sticks and the like!) Alternatively, AVG, Avira, or even Avast! Antivirus are good if you don't like Microsoft's free solution.

Adblock plus blocks ads on internet pages (like the forums), preventing/reducing accidental infection by clicking on a bad ad. Also helps to speed up website load times. Available for Chrome and Firefox. (sorry Internet Explorer users!)

Web Of Trust (WOT) gives a visual indicator for the "goodness" of the site you are currently on or about to click on (if it is a Google/Bing/Yahoo search link). If the reputation of the site is bad, the plugin actually prompts you before you can continue to the site. Basically like a "hey this isn't a good site, you should probably leave before shit gets real" sort of notification. Very handy. (Available for Chrome + Firefox and not IE)

Disconnect blocks some tracking cookies used by Facebook/twitter/tumblr/other social media sites and makes your browsing experience a bit faster (less shit to load) and more private. Again, available for (you guessed it) Firefox and Chrome.

I've been using and recommending these programs/extensions for the past 5 years now, and I've had literally thousands of people who take my recommendations and are happy with them, from both a money aspect and a performance aspect.

Props to Mad for browsing smart! Proud of you sir!

raidenraccoon
Iron Miner
Iron Miner

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top