My Cousin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Cousin

Post by 4emersons on 10/25/2013, 12:58 pm

Hey guys,

My cousin (who is 12 years old) has had ear problems all her life, her left ear until about a month ago had about 30% of the hearing left and her right ear had about 70%.  As of late, she has been having problems with her ears, they brought her in to the doctor, and they said that there was a problem.  When she had gotten her ear problems in her left ear, it had started with having some liquid in there, then it turned out to be a much larger problem.  She now has liquid in her right ear, the "good" one.  They don't know if there is a tumor or not, but the doctors said they think there is.  I don't know the full story, but from what I heard, they are going to need to do something to the ears that will make her be able to keep very little of her hearing, but at least she will be able to hear a little, right?  If the doctors are right, she will need to have something done to one of her ears to make it not be able to hear at all for 3-4 months, then when that is over, they need to do the same thing to the other one.  She is involved in a lot of stuff at her church, school, and with her friends.  This will effect almost everything she does, according the doctors. 

Also, beside the point, my mother was talking to my grandmother (also the grandmother of this cousin), and my grandmother didn't care at all it seemed.  When my mom was telling my grandmother about this, my grandmother was complaining about her neck hurting and her feet being cold from stepping in snow.  Like, really?  Your granddaughter is facing the possibility of never being able to hear again and you are worried about your neck and feet hurting?  So freaking self-centered.

But anyway, please be praying for everything to go well for my cousin (her name is Abby btw) and for her to keep most of the hearing she still has left.  It has been really hard for her whole fam having to go through this.

4emersons
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Cousin

Post by Accusing_panda4 on 10/25/2013, 6:49 pm

hope it goes well[face]

Accusing_panda4
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shnoork on 10/25/2013, 7:04 pm

Hope things turn out well for your cousin, Ben. I would guess she would need a hearing aid in the foreseeable future, so its not like the girl will be needing people to scream to hear them. But still, doesn't make the current situation any easier. Again, hope everything turns out alright!

Shnoork
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 4emersons on 10/25/2013, 8:04 pm

Shnoork wrote: I would guess she would need a hearing aid in the foreseeable future
She already has a hearing aid...

4emersons
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncut on 10/26/2013, 10:45 pm

Hey dude,

I'm really sorry to hear about your cousin. I know there isn't anything I can do or say that will make you feel better or give you any answers. But I will offer my consolation as best I can.

The condition with you are describing with your cousin sounds almost exactly like what one of my friends Amanda currently suffers from. She has constantly deteriorating hearing  related to fluid build up. To make things worse, she is a pianist.

She has been learning sign language most of her life because she knows that one day she might be entirely deaf. She has even made many deaf friends and interacts a lot with them. It's really not so bad :D Deaf people learn to cope with life and form their own unique relationships with each other and their own communities.

Humans are resilient creatures and we learn to adapt. Your cousin will learn to adapt too!

Also, cochlear implant technology is developing quite well. So even if she didn't qualify for it now she may one day in the future not have to be deaf anymore.

Uncut
Dirt Digger
Dirt Digger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top