Mal's Daily Facts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mal's Daily Facts

Post by Malris_Bengado on 9/2/2013, 11:33 pm

Ok since everyone seemed to think it was cool idk how this will go but anyways I will try to keep doing this everyday. Your welcome to ask questions about anything you don't understand or want more information on. As a Biology major i have a very large amount of knowledge of anything related to animals and historic fossils. I sit for hours on YouTube just watching Walking with dinosaurs and the history Chanel. So most of my info come from what I remember from it. So All my facts will be random and who knows you can use them to make yourself feel smarter by telling other people who don't know about it. So my first fact I honestly like to start with is about the Elephant Bird. This Bird was the largest bird to ever walk this earth that could not fly. It lived on the Island of Madagascar up till the late 1800's, it died out by being over hunted and people stealing and eating the huge eggs these birds layed. Like many bird of today this bird didn't protect its young or its eggs from predators. This bird stood about 8 feet tall with is much bigger than it cousin the ostrich. Another smaller but still very large cousin the Giant Emu of New Zealand also lived around the same time stood almost the same height if not a bit smaller and layed smaller eggs. The story of how the Elephant bird got its name though now we know this could not be real but it's interesting to think these people believed it, but the story goes a man had saw one of these bird lift a grown Elephant into the air and drop it to its death. Now we know this is not possible in anyways because of the skeletal structure of this bird that it could not fly at all. The most likely reason this bird got its name is because of the size of it nothing more and the name fits it well because to this date there hasn't been any records of any other bird larger than it. This bird was omnivores but mostly ate berries that grew on the island but would eat small lizards when it could. It had no nature enemies other than humans that came to the islands later. The only animal I can think of that might of hunted theses birds most likely at a infant would be the Giant Fossa that also lived around that time. This is a larger cousin of the now of day Fossa, the Giant fossa was about 6 feet long while today's are about 2-3 feet long.  And at that I will stop for today. Come back tomorrow for more information!

Malris_Bengado
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mal's Daily Facts

Post by 4emersons on 9/2/2013, 11:37 pm

[Del]

Last edited by 4emersons on 9/3/2013, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

4emersons
Master Miner
Master Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleInYourFace on 9/3/2013, 1:45 am

4emersons wrote:This has officially been the most I have ever learned in a single, non-school day in my life.
So much learning. >.> Ben stole my words. Damn this is more than I've learned in the first 2 weeks of school.

AppleInYourFace
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimtongue on 9/3/2013, 8:16 am

if men com frum mankey, y dere still mankey???
CHERKMETE!

Grimtongue
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blame on 9/3/2013, 9:08 am

What is the directions of blood flowing through the heart?

Blame
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malris_Bengado on 9/3/2013, 9:12 am

If you must know god forbid your intelligence is so small its the basics of evolution. Monkeys are still around because they evolved to the point necessary for life in what part of the world they lived. Humans evolved because they had to adapt to harsher living arrangements. We as humans weren't always at the top of the food chain, we once we're part of a prey list. That now of days is very small due to are large amount of knowledge and equipment that we have manufactured over the years. Also next time use real English grim unless you can't even understand that level of understanding.

Malris_Bengado
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AppleInYourFace on 9/3/2013, 4:24 pm

Malris_Bengado wrote:If you must know god forbid your intelligence is so small its the basics of evolution. Monkeys are still around because they evolved to the point necessary for life in what part of the world they lived. Humans evolved because they had to adapt to harsher living arrangements. We as humans weren't always at the top of the food chain, we once we're part of a prey list. That now of days is very small due to are large amount of knowledge and equipment that we have manufactured over the years. Also next time use real English grim unless you can't even understand that level of understanding.
Okay this is the one thing I actually knew! YAY FOR APPLE! tongue 

AppleInYourFace
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malris_Bengado on 9/4/2013, 12:58 am

Since I replied to...a inconsiderate person today you will have to wait till tomorrow for a new fact. Sorry if this seems out of order i tend to do these really late at night so bear with me guys.

Malris_Bengado
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevo235 on 9/4/2013, 2:12 am

i'm pretty sure he was joking around, mal Smile 

Kevo235
Legendary Miner
Legendary Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Piglet on 9/4/2013, 2:20 am

Kevo235 wrote:i'm pretty sure he was joking around, mal Smile 
Especially because it's pretty much this http://www.vgcats.com/super/?strip_id=50

And even if the spelling wasn't a reference that's still a very, very common joke.

Big_Piglet
Redstone Miner
Redstone Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

~Reply~

Post by tanaka91 on 9/4/2013, 7:53 am

How human evolution really happened:

Monkey -> balloon poodle -> walrus -> 80's robot -> Canadian male.

tanaka91
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malris_Bengado on 9/4/2013, 8:57 am

I'm sorry i just don't find it funny, i made this post to give real basic facts out, with a high intelligence. I wanted to share REAL info not have people make jokes about evolution and stuff I'm going to be doing this kind of thing for a living so making fun of it is insulting to me because i'm trying to test myself on how much i really know and what i can produce with a days worth of information. So I'm sorry I don't find it funny and I never will, this is my major I'm working on with biology so I want to give out information so other people can learn to because with my major i could become a teacher if I really wanted to and honestly i would love to teach pre-historic history of animals because as live is there is so much we don't know yet. So all I'm asking is a little respect for my post ok is that so hard?

Malris_Bengado
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Linkinparkey on 9/4/2013, 9:41 am

I believe I heard something about russian scientists attempting to use mammoth blood (from a frozen mammoth that they found) to implant a mammoth clone into an elephant. If this becomes possible, how do u think said mammoth would do in this time? Would it be able to survive today, and could it change behavior from what it used to, in order to adapt? (Just asking for a qualified guess :P)

Linkinparkey
Gold Miner
Gold Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malris_Bengado on 9/4/2013, 10:19 am

Linkinparkey wrote:I believe I heard something about russian scientists attempting to use mammoth blood (from a frozen mammoth that they found) to implant a mammoth clone into an elephant. If this becomes possible, how do u think said mammoth would do in this time? Would it be able to survive today, and could it change behavior from what it used to, in order to adapt? (Just asking for a qualified guess :P)
I heard about this before would it survive? Well that depends there is a lot we don't really know about mammoths yet and such so what is the chances of a full success rate if one should somehow be produced?  there are a lot of factors that have to be put into re-creation of and extinct species. Think about it Elephants have had 100s on 100s of years of evolution to go through to live in the parts of the worlds they are now. A mammoth honestly would most likely have a hard time to adjust to our time not that it would have any memory of the past but its body might not be able to take the pressure of our time. Thinking about it heat, space, food and other factors have to be brought into account.  Mammoths had a very different diet than elephants and almost none of the plants that they ate are around today, bot saying some arn't but the idea of nutrition of raising a baby mammoth seems well impossible because there are so many limiting factors to it. Here's the problem though with trying to implant it into another living organism. Genetics Elephants maybe the closes living relative to the mammoth but they have a huge amount of differences from them. Depending on the Elephants species be it and Asian Elephant or and African, there are a lot of things that can cause problems. Mammoths had hair and a lot of it, elephants today have very little hair mostly just eye lases and the tip of their tails, but! but as baby elephants have been seen they have hair everywhere on their bodies till about 3 or 4 years old, why honestly I don't even know but I would like to believe is the gene line for mammoths that might cause this in young elephants. Now for the last part if it did some how manage to happen and manage to live could it adapt? I would believe so, elephants are herd animals I think the only problem might be is if the baby was to be born male. Why because Bulls elephants are pushed out of the herd at adult age, and they live alone for a long time or living in herd with other males but how would a normal never living with a mammoth troop of Elephants take to a Mammoth? ITs hard to say how live would be if not kept in captivity so gender plays a roll in it as well so over all It might happen but the chances are slim to none but over time who knows how genetics might turn out.

Malris_Bengado
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malris_Bengado on 9/8/2013, 3:43 pm

Since its been 4 day since i  posted i figured i post again. So new facts and info...Well lets talk about dinosaurs. First off let ya'll know you can ask questions anything that comes to mind about anything i say here or just want more information about a certain thing. I'm cool with this. So with out further ado Let me begin. 
So everyone know the basic dinosaur names and what they mean like tyrannosaurus rex means Terrible lizard. Pretty basic stuff. So I want to talk about a dinosaur that has been the talk of evolution between birds and Dinosaurs since its finding. The Archaeopteryx.  This dinosaur is one of the real mysteries of the dinosaur world because its has a very close relationship to modern birds. This Dino no dino seems to lizard like huh? well lets just say Archa huh? well archa from what they have found in fossils of it that there are large numbers of feather fossils surrounding the main body giving scientist the belief that this must be a very close relative of the modern bird. The Archa couldn't pre-say fly but it used its arms like the Velociraptor to turn faster when running at high speeds. There are other ideas of why it had feathers such as body regulation, better protection from bigger predators and the like. The Archa was about 3 feet tall and weighted maybe 30 lbs maybe if not a little more its bone structure was much like the modern bird but it had small claws at the very end of the wing meaning it had evolved over time from something that had never had a wing like arm. If you look at the body structure of todays bird and archa you would see many similarities. They are still trying to determine when the final evolution of Dinosaurs to birds happened. But Archa is not the only well dino to ever have feathers there has been many other dinosaurs that have evolved feathers over time like the microraptor of China this small dinosaur glided from trees using its feather covered arms and legs to get to places where larger predators could not get to them.  So really can it be possible that Dinosaurs are really early cousins of the modern bird? Well only time can tell when something new that is much closer to the birds we know today comes up in the fossil records.            

Malris_Bengado
Coal Miner
Coal Miner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top